Department of Physiology
Physiology; from Greek words physis, meaning “nature, origin”, and -logia, meaning “study of”, is the scientific study of function in living systems.The study of human physiology dates back to at least 420 BC and has a history of more than 100 years of teaching in the University of Calcutta.
The department of this institute aims to provide basic knowledge about functioning of the system of human beings.
Physiology enables information gained by molecular biology, cell biology, genetics, pharmacology, biophysics, biomathematics, and biochemistry to be described in an integrated manner that can be applied to human medicine.
- Development of idea of how within organisms, organ systems, tissues, cells and bio-molecules carry out the chemical or physical functions that exist in a living system.
- To provide insight into the normal functions of human beings and their parts.
- To develop an idea about various organ system, their normal functioning and a brief overview of malfunctions which lead to various diseases.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
Physiological investigations range from examining the molecular basis of life to understanding the integrative functions of biological systems and their responses to external and internal environments. Here are few of the objectives that can be expected from the general degree course in Physiology (Human Physiology):
- To empower the students with practical knowledge of pathological studies.
- To gain an idea of nutrition, social health status and hazards arising out of common practices in society.
- To provide hands-on training on instrumentation related to clinical physiology.
- To develop skills like measurement of Blood pressure, heart rate, blood group analysis and their first level interpretation of the values obtained.
- To develop idea of social physiology and its application in day to day life.
Program-Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
At the end of the programme a student will be capable of –
- Pursue a career in clinical laboratory technician
- Conduct various diet surveys and prepare reports of the same.
- To develop skills in nursing and medical aids
- Conduct tests by using different modern instruments related to Blood Pressure, ECG, Pulse rate, respiratory rate and other physiological parameters.
- Employment in NGOs related to social physiology work.
- Develop entrepreneurship in the field of nutrition and/or clinical physiology.
- Seek employment with the help of gathered knowledge and training in the medical field especially as MRs, MR Managers.